British nationality and citizenship
When you come to apply for your citizenship, we understand that this can be the last step over a long period of time. We’ll work closely with you from beginning to end to make sure your application has the best chance of success. If you’re still a few years away from applying for citizenship, we can also advise on how you can prepare for your application in the future.
British nationality and citizenship experts
If you have held ILR (Indefinite leave to remain / enter) for over one year or are an EEA national (or a family member) and have been in the UK for over five years you may be able to apply to become a British Citizen. There are other requirements including:
– English Language.
– Five year residency (absences from the UK).
– Good character (no criminal or civil issues).
– Good immigration history for the last 10 years.
– Other relevant requirements as appropriate in your circumstances.
Costs the application fee for the Home Office is £1,236. Please note that the fees, forms and requirements do change from time to time and so this should be checked at the point of lodging your application. Our office fee will depend on the complexity of your case and other issues. For more information, please call us on 0203 191 8080.
How Long Does The Application Take?
Once you’ve gathered all your documents, we’ll put your application together in a format that the Home Office prefers.
The application process takes about four to six months. You can stay in the UK while you wait for a decision and your Indefinite Leave to Remain status will stay the same.
If your application is successful, you’ll be invited to a Citizenship Ceremony where you’ll officially become a British citizen. After this you can apply for a British passport. Our solicitors will guide you through the entire process so you’ll always know what to expect and where you stand.
Who Can Apply For British Citizenship?
To apply for British citizenship you’ll generally need to:
- Have lived in the UK continuously for at least five years
- Have spent less than 450 days outside the UK in the five years before you apply
- Have held Indefinite Leave to Remain for 12 months
- Have spent less than 90 days outside the UK in the last 12 months before you apply
- Be 18 years or older
- Be planning to continue to live in the UK after you get citizenship
- Speak a good level of English, Welsh or Scottish Gaelic
- Have a good character with no criminal record and you’re not bankrupt
- Have passed a Life in the UK test.
After you’ve gathered all of your documents, our team will put together a format that the Home Office prefers. The application process takes about four to six months and applicants are allowed stay in England while they wait for their decision which can be viewed online at any time or by contacting one’s local authority if needed. Once approved as eligible under UK law (and granted Indefinite Leave To Remain), then an invitation may arrive within two weeks letting them know when it would be best suited for citizenship ceremonies–at this point there should already exist paperwork ready so only signature is necessary upon receiving notice! After taking part in such ceremony(s)the newly minted Briton automatically receives British Citizenship with rights including access onto various government programs like health care services.
Why you need our help?
- You must understand that Home Office charges a phenomenal fee for naturalization application and there is no right to appeal in case of refusal
- An applicant must pass both the English language B1 qualification test and the Life in the UK test. There are exceptional circumstances where the above tests are not required. Our experts will advise you whether you required the English language test or not.
- Your application may get refused if you don’t meet the criteria of Good Character, as it is defined by the relevant Statute. Unless we guide you about it, you may never be able to understand it beforehand
- Only expert immigration and nationality lawyers can advise you whether you meet certain requirements for applying for British
- Nationality and Citizenship or not such as we will inform you about:
- What constitutes criminal conviction, a caution, or a civil judgement and whether your application may be affect as a result of having any of them against your name.
- Your work background from the past ten years
- If you have ever tried to enter the UK illegally in the past ten years
- If you have tried to work in the UK without undergoing appropriate legalities
ABOUT FADIGA & CO
With the help of our skilled immigration solicitors in London, you can expect your application be made according to immigration rules and avoid unnecessary expenditures. We’ll submit it with full concentration on helping meet Home Office requirements so there are little chances for rejection or variations that would cause additional fees later down the line!
"Winning isn't Everything it's the only thing"
Ready to talk?
Contact us now concerning your case and discover why our clients so often recommend us as one of the leading teams of solicitors in London.